Essentials of 2018 - What we need.



HAPPIEST OF NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL - FIRST POST FOR 2018!

Its a new year, and new you and a new project. But, where do we start what do we need and how do we go about it?

Sounds easy right! Not always...

We see sew many new ideas coming daily, we see people post these amazing quilts and patterns and ideas and OH MY! How do you get to them all. Not so easy aye!

Sew, my resolution was to first and foremost get organized for this year and do it well. That is the number one thing to do! I started with changing the color a one wall I just did not like and I look in that direction while sewing and long arming, so it had to go. I went with a color I really like! Not to bright or dark, but one I think is good. I will put up a barn quilt later this week I think to make it more mine. Then I moved some things around, still doing that. I followed the light in my studio as I do not want to invest in the electrician to come out again, so I moved things to get better light where I needed it most.

Sew I have a few more things to move. But I put in a sitting area so that I a place to sit and think and design, a television with dvd and I have a mini fridge too. All things I had in my space and not using at the moment. It is going to be my haven. NOW, if you don't have the space I have a full basement for my studio, it was not being used for anything but storage... Make yours yours! How ever you go about it, personalize it!

Now, onto storage. Get the most affordable for you and with the most uses. I have cubes that stack sit against the wall and can be bolted together! WORKS AWESOME and with those little baskets or cubes for storage win win, out of the way, covered and protected all in one. I label mine with whats in there. I have these drawer cabinets that I use for notions that I got at Menards or other big box stores, often times you get the same things you can at Joann for a lot less at these stores, I did just that. Saw them, looked for them elsewhere and saved. That is key to this new year save as much as you can to get more for your money!

Okay, now. All those patterns out there and oh the finished projects - where do I start? Now this is easy. What is your skill level and how far out of your comfort zone do you want to venture? Now if you just began, I would not suggest doing a BOM with multiple types of blocks in one project or thousands of pieces to cut through out the year, I have never done one, as I like instant gratification in short and reasonable amount of time. On average I do a top in a week or less. I like Dresden plates, disappearing nine patches, and often times make up my own with what I have. Google beginner quilt blocks, and go from there. I have said before color combo's can make a world of difference. Test out one block on various colors, find the ones you like and coordinate. Those others can be put aside and made into a MY OWN SAMPLER quilt after you accumulate enough to do so. Try things out, next on our list of to do for 2018!

Sew, next what do we really need in our sewing rooms? GOOD LIGHTING! Yes even before the machine, lighting is key for many reasons. We need it to see colors, lines, cutting fabric not our fingers and oh yeah so we don't trip! I use ott lights since they are very close to true light. WHITE light not yellow! When you are at the store and looking at fabric and it is good light out, go to the window and look at it there to see what it truly looks like, the yellow lights dull colors distort colors and make you think you have something you do not. REMEMBER THAT! So when you get it home and think what did I get, that is why, these stores use yellow over white since it is cheaper to use those types of lights. Yes, I checked weird I know, but I did. Much like the paint chip counter in the home improvement stores have those diff light boxes fabric stores need those too!

Okay tools...

Not just power tools drills, saws and such but machine, lighting, cutting implements, rulers templates and sew much more. What do you really need?

Sewing machine with straight stitch is number one. Then bobbins for sure, you get what three in a new machine box really. I buy a dozen more to go with the machine I am getting and I change them out often too, they do wear down. I just threw away 6 this past weekend due to over use they are plastic after all, and they wear down, crack and get burrs on them. YEP it is true I should have taken a picture of the worst one, it looked to be 100 years old and actually only a few months, but it was one I kept re filling and re using. It wore out, had a crack where you put the thread to start the bobbin, and UGH yeah it was a major pain in my butt since it kept catching threads!

Hmmm, light bulb check the rest out, sure enough many were close, and yeah I am not one on stopping and starting to try and figure out what the issue is when I get nest, loops and such, would not have thought of it actually until I saw that one. Sew check your bobbins get extra and keep on sewing.

Now you need cutting tools, scissors of course get ones that are comfortable and fit your hand left or right. Try them out in the store and see how they feel in your hand. And if you are a klutz don't get the most expensive, drop once and BAM out of alignment forever! Sew get affordable and useful. Fiskars does guarantee for a life time too, as does Gingher. A nice smaller pair to clip threads is ideal unless you are going to cut fabric with them too. DO NOT GET those Giant dress maker shears unless you are making clothing! Cumbersome in quilting.

Now rotary cutters are good, NO GREAT! But which one. Prices vary so much. It is not the actual rotary cutter but the blade that has to be GREAT. Get one that is affordable and again fits your hand, ergonomic is available now too. I have three types and use on the most. But the blades are the most important part. You can get cheap ones and they will cut well for while, and then they burr and skip and make you so mad when you go to take your blocks and pieces up they have ONE just ONE thread caught and man you just pulled it through the entire piece. Yep done it, threw it, and used my colorful words, then changed the blade. I use OLFA they last a long time, stay sharp and do not burr as bad as the cheaper steel ones. Olfa is titanium. Now do not over tighten the screw either, you want it to glide easily and cut, not drag and cut otherwise get a scalpel to do that! Clean your blade seat at each change of the blade and BE CAREFUL changing them. You can resharpen the blades never done it but have heard it can be done!

Cutting mat, yes you need one. Get one that fits your area. Self Healing as well. I have them at http://haverislanddesign.com for around 18.00 for an 18x24 very good price and quality too. Check it out. Keep it clean, take care of it and it will last a long time. Do not iron on it, use steam near it or harsh chemicals to clean it. If you get grooving use a hot towel on it, and let it heal again. Take care to not let grooves get too deep, this happens when you cut over and over in the same spot. NEVER rely on those lines either they are not always right, and you forget to take off the end there where the lines start and you always put it to the edge and oh yeah it is off ! YEP done that too!

Thread is important but get what your machine likes! Yes, they have favorites. Try them out. That is all I have to say on this.

Pins you need sharp 2.5 inch long straight quilting pins. Easy peasy on those. Basting pins get the that are curved, not straight! But I use spray baste for basting. LOVE IT!

SEW here you go. Lets get organized and get going on new projects.

Remember a quilt unfinished is waiting to be loved.


Comments

Popular Posts