Scant Quarter inch Seam - not for the beginner?



What is a scant 1/4 inch seam? It is just what is sounds like a little less than a 1/4 inch but only by a thread or two. It can make your points look amazing. But it takes practice for sure to get it right and to remember placement under your presser feet!

Here are some tips to help you with this. I will say again, it is a good habit to get into from the beginning, unlike many say to use a 1/2 inch seam; THAT is a bad habit to start.

Sew here we go!

In the pic you can see the difference between a true 1/4 inch seam, that is aligned with the right side of your presser foot, so it should measure to a true 1/4 inch. Some maybe off, depending on your foot. I recommend purchasing a true 1/4 inch foot for your machine if it did not come with it. The seam on the bottom, is a SCANT 1/4 inch seam as you can see the thread is one thread further over from the true 1/4 inch. You achieve this by one click over to the right. This is perfect for points or difficult blocks you are piecing.

I know one click? If you have a computerized machine you are able to move the needle in clicks with the digital system, but if you have non computerized machine how do you do it? This is a bit more involved and you need to pay attention each time, as with a computerized machine you note the setting you used to keep it there and then make sure you change to that setting each time you turn your machine on. But on a non computerized machine, you really should mark it on your machine plate. Using a perm marker or however you decide to mark it, just be sure it is accurate. One thread is the best to use for than one click over process.

Yes - one thread; makes a huge difference. here you see a seam guide which is placed one thread over. It can be confusing and really isn't a beginner idea, but some have asked for this information. It takes practice, but like I said if you have a computerized machine adjust it with the settings. If you have a non computerized machine it takes a bit of practice and good marking.

The marking needs to be accurate and not a fat line. I used a piece of blue painters tape once I found it on my Janome HD, which is not computerized and is a work horse for sure, but I do forget and use my 1/4 inch foot most of the time. I am okay with not having precision points though. If it is something that bothers you, then it is good to practice this technique and it get it down on your own machine. I love my presser foot with the guide on it, and it is what I use the most. The blade acts like a wall to keep you aligned, and all the pieces are the same throughout my piecing.

Hope this helps, and did not confuse you too much. I am sure we will have comments on how to better understand this process, and I welcome them! Nothing like learning from all of you!

For now for you beginners use 1/4 inch seam allowances, unless making a rag quilt which requires a half inch seam allowance for the clipping to crate the ragged effect.

Peaceful creating to you all. Enjoy. And remember and finished quilt is waiting to love.

Til next time!

Comments

Popular Posts