Shunning In quilting groups - WHY?

I have been a part of the quilting world for sometime, although recently in the virtual world in groups on Facebook, it is new to me; although not new to social media I am sure.
I joined a group and thought this is going to be fun, and learning a lot from others was what I was looking forward to the most, making new contacts and maybe friends too.  It was all good until that day - oh that day sticks in my mind and most likely will for a very long time.  I was shunned, degraded, insulted, and emotionally stunted for a few days!  Yes, from a quilting group!

We would think this is a lot of nice little granny types out there giving us advice and encouraging us to do well, and scolding when we do do something really wrong, like my grandmothers did to me growing up.  Boy was I wrong!  I had not realized there were so many self delegated quilt police out there for sure.  Truth be told I had no idea what the quilt police were, where they came from, or how to send them back to hell which is where I assumed they originated!  I read somewhere the term was coined as a funny anecdote, but literally came to life one day unlike Frosty the Snowman, they were not full of joy, fun, or jest; but hateful awful mean words that cut like a new pair of fabric shears with shiny edges and razor sharp words.

My story is not new, nor will I rehash it here again, I will tell you though, I was stunned by the words of complete strangers to me, over my using fleece as batting.  I live in the North, I make quilts for my family and friends, I want them to be warm, and it is very affordable with coupons at that special place where time warps and we lose all meaning of budgets! You know where I mean...

It was this incident we will call it; that prompted me to start Quilting Perfectly Imperfect - my Facebook group which I love dearly every day, every minute actually. You can join us and be a part of our wonderful world that spans the globe, we quilt, we create, we support, give advice, and lift one another up in bad times, and even when we have lost the mojo! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/quiltingimperfectly/  this is the link!  If you are not part of our family please give us a try.  You may like it.

Sew, it was today not unlike any other day I realized there are still those self delegated quilt police whom have a real meaningless life, when they decide they are the ones who make the rules, and can tell others they SUCK!  Seriously Get the Hell out of my space!  We live in a world today, where it just seems many NOT ALL feel they have a right - well yes you have many rights, but meanness, conjecture, derisive rude comments is NOT one of them.  I was raised to respect others and they will respect me, and if they do not they are a waste of the time of day I once gave them.  Cut them off at the knees with a silver tongue and they won't realize it until tomorrow!  My Aunt Sue taught me that little trick oh so well, and My Mother and Pseudo Mother Aunt Peggy taught me it is a waste of breath to say anything back.   My grandmothers on the other hand, made me pick my own switch of the peach tree!  Get my meaning.  Sew I have experience and knowledge on these types of people so much sew I have a degree in Forensic Psychology on the hows, why's and whatfores of these people.

The whatfores are this:  They enjoy making others feel less than, and themselves more than, but they are neither they are miserable awful hateful people.  They are likely lonely, desperate for attention, and have issues beyond non professionals scope of understanding.  And truth be told, I feel sorry for them, but not so much so I will allow it to happen to any member of my group or friends or family.  Mess with them, be prepared for Tedwanda!  I will take you out - of my group that is.  But I will be sure you are known for who you are beforehand.

So if any of you "Quilt police" follow my blog or are thinking of joining my group.  DON'T it is SIMPLE - you will be shunned for your actions.  I hope you find peace within yourself soon, but until then please go away and sulk somewhere else.

NOW for those of you who have been victim of said EEEEEVILL peoples.  Know this, no one can steal your thunder, take your peace away, love your work less or make you feel less than unless you let them.  DON'T!  It is not worth it.  They are the ones who are wrong and they are the ones who must answer for their own actions at some point.  Know this too - You are appreciated, you are loved, and you are welcome to join us any day and relish the works of others, ask questions - since NO question is a dumb question, we all learn from one another.  And if someone tries to make you feel bad for what you have accomplished, ask them to show their work and how perfect it is, I bet it looks like a JC Penny knock off!

Remember a quit unfinished is waiting to love.
Create from your heart, love with your soul, and be one of the Imperfect ones with your head held high, your convictions in place, and the love of the passion of quilting in your blood.  We are a family of many with a goal of one - to create warmth, love and happiness for another no matter the condition of your points, the type of batting you use, or level of your experience.  You are creating from you.

Until next time!  Peace

Comments

Popular Posts