Your Points aren't perfect - Who cares!



I see it all the time, fellow quilters saying it's not perfect. WHO CARES!

Getting those perfect points is very hard and takes a lot of practice, and knowing how to use your machines feet.

Perfect points come from a scant 1/4 inch seam not a true quarter inch. To get a scant quarter you need to move over about one or two threads in your fabrics weave a little more or a little less depending upon the size of the weave as well. Thread used to piece with can throw them off as well. Be sure to use the same thread on the entire project to have a consistent seam.

Even though your machines marker says a 1/4 inch I can bet you it is not. Take a index card, place it under your needle and lower the needle into the line on the card, your foot should line up with the next line on the card just perfectly to measure a quarter inch. If it does not then you are off. Here is where you can mark your machines plate to ensure it is at 1/4 inch. If the card and the edge of the foot line up perfectly, then stitch the line and measure again, if you have a true quarter inch you are good to go that foot is a 1/4 inch foot.

Often we buy feet in those one size fits all packs, these are basic low shank feet, and are not calibrated to the machine we are using, thus the many brands out there. If your use the "generic" feet, be sure to measure to be sure the size of the foot before you begin the project. It is imperative for getting consistent and accurate seams and points.

Truthfully I give two patoots and rats tail if they are perfect, when the entire quilt is perfect it looks fake. Fake? store bought. Not made by hand, Jezebel. That is my opinion. Hand made has flaws and crooks and crannies, and grannies way is the best way for me.

But points are important if it is way off rip and redo. If it is off a little bit, you can fudge it the end. Seriously a little tug to line it up is good to go.

NOW - Perfect is not achievable in most instances unless you have all the time in the world, an unlimited amount of patience and fabric. I do like the look of perfect points in some blocks others I do not.

Just don't freak out if they are not ALL perfect. It is part of life. It is like those actors who have those huge perfect overly white teeth, that are all the same size and TOO big for their mouths; you catch yourself looking at those instead of the rest of the face. Know what I mean, not Lisa Rhenna lips those are just too big and odd they stick out for sure. So do bad points that are way off. No meanness was meant in that statement, but natural is most often best.

We can strive for perfection all day everyday, but at what cost? Frustration, stress, unfinished, unloved, undone! Imperfection is in everything which is not manufactured.

Sew, the gist of it is. Practice to get those points pointed, learn what your feet size are and if they need adjusted, and be happy if you can not get it perfect every time. There are several videos on Youtube on checking for the size of the feet on your machine. I know my Brothers and Janome are NOT the same ever! Also, depends on the thread I use to piece with! Little things can throw it off. Learn SCANT QUARTER INCH as well. Many videos on that. None I like in particular. If all else fails get a guard to go on your foot to guide every one of your seams, I have one it got bent somehow, and I need a new one for my Janome I have new feet for it that I need to use and figure out still yet some I have never seen nor has my mother who was a professional seamstress.

Go with the basics, no frills no spills I say. Always try new things too! Don't be afraid it is fabric, now don't use the 90 a yard stuff for practice obviously, yes it goes higher than that too! I have seen 1450.00 a yard for some silks!!!!!! We learn from our mistakes, we learn from practice, we learn and we learn some more.

Scant is best when you are striving to get those sharp points, notice I did not say perfect - sharp! Line up and go! Mark your face plate when you find your true quarter inch mark, and keep it there. Some use rails they make from card stock or tape or a piece of plexi. It is up to you. Personally I go with the flow, I don't sell my quilts for thousands of dollars, never entered one in a show or fair, but you will see some in my book coming in 2018 "Quit yer bitchin' and start stitchin' - A beginners guide to quilting". Edited by Margaret Grimes!

Always remember a quilt unfinished is waiting to love.

Create with love, joy and happiness.

Until next time Peace!

Comments

Popular Posts