Healthy Quilting



We all do it push ourselves to get a project completed, which we may have procrastinated on, or have some issues while we are working such as machine needing a repair, not enough fabric to complete the project, life getting in the way or not feeling well.

I do it all the time – I do however have a great deal of health issues and my body will tell me your done, your down, it’s not happening today. But that is my life in general. I do no work any longer.

Is it worth it?

NO!

You risk having a lot of mistakes in your project, serious injury or you get even sicker that what you were.

Rest when needed.

Have good posture when sewing, cutting, laying out and preparing for your project. Your arm should be at a 90 degree angle while sewing. You should have a large enough cutting space so you are not cramped and having to reach too far and can see your cutting surfaces surface well enough to cut a starting line. I know not everyone has a large amount of space to work in, but finding a space that is adequate will make the process so much more enjoyable. Countertop, kitchen or dining tables and the floor make great work spaces as long as you are able to get up off the floor again. I know some who put a solid surface on the washing and drying machines and use that. That is a great idea and it helps with your posture as most of these are a great height to work at.

The next thing that works very well is a machine cabinet on wheels. I have one and I cut a hole in the top to inset my machine wasn’t too hard to do, the hole is NOT perfect for sure, but the height of the shelf I added is so no big deal. I think I paid about 119.00 for one on Amazon and it is on wheels, as well as having nice storage on the side with two small holders on the door for storing thread and essentials. I just roll it out when I am read to sew. It is great as at the moment my studio is one a mess and two a little too cool for me to be in there for long periods of time. NOW summer or when it gets warmer if that happens here in Michigan any time soon, I will there. For now I am in the living room and am using my cabinet for projects; which have been on hold while dealing with some weird things in my health.

I go today for ophthalmology and hope it is nothing serious and just a new glasses prescription is what is needed. I hoping it will help with the headaches, and with the blurred vision as well as eye strain. At the moment things become so blurry I cannot sew a straight line! Very annoying – due to this I have not been as productive as usual and not feeling well on top of it just makes it not enjoyable.

Chairs are very important when creating as well, if you not comfortable while sitting for longer periods of time; look to the seat you are sitting in. Ask if it is high enough or low enough depending on your surface of which your machine sits. I want to be able to adjust my height as I have a huge bad habit of sitting on my foot when I sew or do anything. At this very moment I am “Indian” style in my chair at my desk! I know I get yelled at all the time, I have had two lower back surgeries and get very stiff if my legs are down for too long as well as fluid builds up in my lower legs too. THAT is not a good thing for me with heart issues. I currently use my office chair I have an executive version which is so comfortable has a great many adjustments to it as well as lumbar and heights that are different from some of lesser cost chairs we sometimes use. It is important to be comfortable while sitting, just as it is if you have an office job or a job where you sit for long periods. Invest in one for your sewing room too.

BREAKS – I cannot stress enough to take breaks and get up and stretch. Just like your machine needs to be cleaned after the bobbin changes and needle changes you need to get up and move. You can develop blood clots from sitting too long with your legs in the downward position and the back of them against the edge of a chair or sitting surface. Get up to iron, or get something to drink, which is important too to stay hydrated. We forget these things at times, but 8 glasses of water a day is key to staying hydrated well. Be sure to get up for bathroom breaks too. Wash your hands often when working with fabrics which are not pre washed as well as those that may have come from an estate sale. We just do not know any longer what may be on the fabrics, so wash your hands!

Stress, will come with the creating of any project and at any time during the creative process. It is normal. I say walk away take a break and breath get a new perspective and then return. I do have several projects at one time going so that I can have a reprieve from any difficult projects I may have taken on. Of late I have not done this; most of quilts are pretty straight forward piecing as I do not like to be annoyed with a lot of cutting and piecing small pieces. I like quick and simple. I do love me some quilt as you go too; a major variety for me as it is seeing it come to completion much faster than the typical piecing and quilting after. I can judge my size as I go and If I decide to go smaller I can no issues, then just put it all together and it is done. I am working a new method of joining parts together now.

Get outside of your box for sure. Boxing yourself into one design or type of quilting will create boredom often and we lose the want to complete projects. Variety as they say is the spice of life.

Do not be afraid to try something you have not. It is only fabric and often new ideas or techniques can be completed with just scraps as it is a test run. If you don’t like the outcome no harm no fowl. But try something new once in a while it may get your creative juices flowing much better and you just may find a new passion.

On my Pinterest boards I have a great number of fun ideas and options for you. Follow me at https://www.pinterest.com/tedjohnson790/ as well as twitter https://twitter.com/bloggerted69

YouTube is not fully up yet. I need to lose some more weight as the camera adds 20 pounds to me! LOL just kidding my studio is not ready for filming, but I may film the series of my new GYAG technique in my living room. I have Instagram too, but I do not do much with that at the moment. My designs for merchandise are on Redbubble at the moment and that may change they are bit expensive for my taste.

I will soon have new panel designs of my own up and running as well, I have some major redo’s on those to get them just right; I received two new samples and am not happy with them at all.

Remember to keep creating, never let another discourage you, be kind to your fellow humans and let the light shine on you every day. Never take for granted you have a tomorrow and live for the now; I have to say I have started this new journey myself and life is getting better in retirement (not by choice) but I am doing the things I love to do and fuel my passion. You should do the same. Change what you can, don’t worry about what you cannot change, and let your quilting or sewing or crafting be your outlet. It is cheaper than therapy and you don’t have to leave to do it. Well unless you need new supplies which you can do at http://haverislanddesign.com

Until next time

Peace.



T

Comments

Popular Posts