Teach me like you know me.



Hello and Good Tuesday to you all. It is truly the week of Christmas, and nope still no partridges in a pear tree. Oh well, I have received some gorgeous cards and lots of thank you's etc. I love this time of year, especially when snow is falling. Alas, the snow is melting...

Sew, when you are being taught a new concept in sewing / quilting / crafting how do you like to be taught? Visually, book, or word of mouth. Me I like visual learning, show me once I got it. But, when someone is trying to teach me something and there is the idea of master in their heads; they go over board on the technical stuff.

I say teach me like you know me. In other words give it to me straight, no frills, no hyper-inflated terminology. Talk to me like we are friends, and you know I don't understand your terms. This is the concept of my book, it is basic but with explanations of what those terms mean. I don't want anyone scratching their heads and shaking the book with frustrations.

I read a pattern and am like - Yeah whatever. I go to the pictures and look at those, then on to my sketch pad, with graph paper or EQ7 and go from there. I hate that damn 2 7/8 inch square just make it 3 inches or 2 1/2, I have NEVER found a 2 7/8 inch square template nor do any of my dies cut that size! REALLY people 2 7/8 is supposed to go on a 2 1/2 square - prove it! When I write a pattern I use common sizes, and diagrams to show you how to join. I give basic instruction on how to create the blocks and I don't go overboard with terms and this and that's. I don't like do dads at all. SEW why do it?

Patterns are NOT legal documents that need all the extra words that have no meaning, they do not need to impress with words but results. Same with instructional videos, I hate a 45 minute video with 32 minutes of talking about how to cut something, and 13 of actual showing me how to create the block! I don't need to know how to iron, or sew a straight line or even how to cut! HELLO! I am hear to make the block you created, not learn how much you know on how to use a die cutter, a template and rotary cutter. Give me the ends and outs, what too watch for and SHOW ME THE BLOCK! (the money)....

Yes I vented, but I feel better!

Now, lets get to it! When you are being taught by someone and you do not understand what they are talking about, if in person stop them and say hey I am here to learn about quilting or whatever the class is about, and could you explain that with less words to me, or if you are visual show you. You paid for that class, they need to teach to all of you! And oh my if they hover over you saying Nope, mmmm, nope not that way either, put down your scissors and then say okay, what should I do, your mmmmm's don't taste so good! Have them show you what they are mmmm ing about! Oh that is one thing to turn Tedwanda on for sure!

If you are in a video course, then rewind or fast forward to the part you need! I do that all the time for sure.

When buying patterns look for ones that are simply written or have a video tutorial for it. Many of the Cozy quilt designs have a you tube video and I am sure every one for Missouri Star Quilt company do too. Also, MSQ you can usually down load the free PDF of the pattern over buying! Kind of makes no sense on their part to have a free pdf of a pattern they sell, but its not all purty and colorful, it is the basics of the pattern with directions and the completed project in dual colors.

Well that is it for today. I have to paint my studio, update some things on the store and get a great nephew quilt ready to quilt. But first, I must just decompress and get my mojo in the right direction! I try to get into a frame of mind that is free from distraction and no frills for me. Put in a favorite video or cd and organize myself to get started and have things out I will need and put away those I do not. I do not say have your house in order and your self prepared for the day as if your partner is going to come home with a surprise dinner guest. I am lucky to have dinner ready on time as it is. OH that reminds me too! The best NON quilting sewing item to own! An Electric Pressure cooker! YEP seriousness here!

EPC as they are known by many! You forget to cook. Hello take something out of the freezer and pop it in the EPC and 30 minutes you have dinner! There are some amazing cook books to go with them. Used mine last night. Frozen ground beef 2# to sloppy joes in 25 minutes flat! Yep dry beans to an amazing soup 30! Just sayin, for those of us who get lost in our projects - get one, it can save a marriage, or a starving child in a heart beat, and then you feel good and they are full as you are too. Just an off the side note to you all. AND mine makes yogurt over night!

Remember a quilt left unfinished is waiting to love.

Create with peace, love, joy and passion.

Til next time - PEACE!

Comments

Popular Posts