Quilting Mends the Soul - Think about it - "Ugly Cat"



A couple of days ago I was sitting up late once again not able to sleep. Nothing new for me, when I have these kinds of nights I tend to troll You Tube. I like to watch the talent shows from other countries and things of that nature.

BUT!

Two nights ago now; I came across a story...

First this is not easy to read I listened to it, and was in tears by the end. Second it is a life lesson we all need to remember.

It is very well known I treat my cat rats Henry and Oliver better than children, they are spoiled rotten, and I give them what they want. Yes, they do get into trouble now and again; but for the most part they run my life. I have complete conversations with Henry every morning.



So, as I am sitting in bed listening to the story I am about to put up here, I had to stop and really think of what type of world I (we) live in today.

The Story of UGLY CAT -

"Everyone in the apartment complex where I lived knew who Ugly was. Ugly was the resident tomcat. Ugly loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and shall we say, love.

The combination of these things combined with a life spent outside had their effect on Ugly. To start with, he had only one eye and where the other should have been was a hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning a corner.

Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby, striped type, except for the sores covering his head, neck and even his shoulders. Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. “That’s one UGLY cat!!!”

All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave.

Ugly always had the same reaction. If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around your feet in forgiveness. Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love. If you picked him up he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.

One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbor’s huskies. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. From my apartment I could hear his screams, and I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly’s sad life was almost at an end.

Ugly lay in a wet circle, his back legs and lower back twisted grossly out of shape, a gaping tear in the white strip of fur that ran down his front. As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. I must be hurting him terribly, I thought.

Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear – Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying, was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring. Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battle scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion.

At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain.

Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly. Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful .

He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give myself totally to those I cared for.

Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, or beautiful, but for me, I will always try to be Ugly". (Author Unknown).

I read this again today, and thought to myself - had someone just taken the time to find out what had happend - much like those humans around us we judge so completely and without thought as to how we are treating one another - What would we find?

Today we are so quick to judge. We look with our eyes and not our hearts. We take for granted what we have, and not what we truly need in life. Love, compassion, understanding and forgiveness is all but gone in today's generation. Respect for others, lacking morals, common sense and general caring about what is happening with our friends, neighbors, family and those we do not take time to find out about.

I too am guilty of this.

All too often.

However, this story will remain in my heart as it hurt me deeply. How was it no matter the circumstance "Ugly" was still able to hope to find one person with compassion and caring? Why keep coming into situations where it was known nothing good would come?

This is not about animal abuse only, but how no matter badly "Ugly" was treated; the determination to find one who would love and take care of him could or would happen. Although the lesson learned was too late as is the case all too often, still a lesson was learned.

Do not judge, do not sit back and wait for others to step in, and ask yourself who or how could a life be changed by my (our) actions. Give of yourself freely, take only what you need, and give back what you can every day.

I sit here now melancholy and morose thinking of this scenario is so many other way's I could have made a difference. As a nurse and social worker I put 100% plus in everyday to change lives, make sure others were taken care over me, and gave dearly of myself to the point of no return all too often. Now, as I sit and reflect; I may have made a difference in many lives, but still find myself asking what have I done of late to make a person smile, feel better about themselves or just gave an ounce of appreciation.

Here is what I propose, take the time to learn of others, stop judging, ask questions, give advice or a shoulder. Pay attention to what surrounds you and not just what is on your screens in front of you.

I feel those of us who quilt as a passion do do this. We give of ourselves with each gift of our quilts, I never ask myself did they like it, will they use it or was it enough. That is not for me to care of, as it is the recipient who makes those decisions of whether to use the gift or dispose it how they see fit. I no longer ask what kind of quilt would you like, or what colors do you want. It is a gift from me to you, and each one has part of my heart and soul in it, even some blood and tears.

Today, ask yourselves what have I done to make a difference.

In quiet reflection - this story reminds me so much of the stories my grandmother told me and all my cousins throughout our lives how a stranger could be your savior. Never take for granted who may knock at your door in the middle of the during a storm or in quiet repose of evenings before dawn, for that strange could one day change your life forever, as you may do in those moments of receiving them into our homes.

Until next time, thoughtful prayers for you, many blessing wished upon you and calm retreats blessed upon you.

T

Comments

Popular Posts